Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Blues /Postnatal Depression

What is it about Postnatal Depression? having babies is simple , right ? That's what everyone says....Women have been doing it for centuries - yet it is still the hardest job , the hardest transision , emotionally , physically and mentally exhausting . Even though I have been in the industry for the past 4 years , and I can pick up the subtle signs of a mom struggling - it is still so difficult to approach a mom and say , are you struggling ? Can I help you? From the mom who declares , "this is hell , I'm on anti-depressants , it's the only way," - to the mom ,who stoically chips away at it , melts into tears regularly by herself and grinds through it , but" all is fine"

So , as a caregiver - it is my hardest area to tackle - having struggled myself with my first baby (sometimes knowing too much clinically is a downfall), I know what they are feeling and want to help , but how do I help ? what can I do? referring to a psychologist is one option - but there must be more? what do moms want from others ? maybe just recognition and a listening ear?

Would love to hear from some of you , especially those who have been through this . Or maybe some dads who've been through it too.
x

1 comment:

  1. All I remember is the immense pressure to not be weak. Pressure from books I read, the media and other people in general.
    As a new mom there's this unspoken rule that breakdowns are not allowed and you should just get over yourself and cope.
    If I had to do it over again, I would allow myself much more honest moments and grab help where ever I can. I would never tell myself not to accept help because it's a sign of weakness.
    Oh and I would adopt a mother. I lost mine when I was younger and a caring helpful mom/mom figure is invaluable. - Rochelle Barrish

    ReplyDelete